Addiewell opened in 2008. It houses all prisoner types with the exception of females and convicted young people.
The prison is situated in the village of Addiewell, which is in the central belt of Scotland, between the two largest cities, Glasgow and Edinburgh. The prison was built on a site formerly known as Addiewell chemical works which produced paraffin oil. It was an active site for nearly 100 years, opening in 1860s and finally closing in 1956.