Dumfries Prison - History
Dumfries Prison building started in August 1881 and was finally completed in August 1882. The estimated cost was thought to be around £17,000. The new prison had 78 cells and was set to occupy around 80 prisoners, as well as some accommodation for officers. Over the years more halls and sections have been added on to cater for the rise in the prison population.
- C. Hall was built in 1964; 40 single cells, night sanitation system.
- D. Hall was added in 1968 with dormitory cells which can hold up to 45 prisoners.
- The Gate lodge and administration block were completed in November 1988.