Barlinnie Prison - Visiting
The Croft Visitors' Centre
Visitors to HMP Barlinnie can make use of The Croft Visitors' Centre, which offers a range of services to prisoners' family and friends to assist them when attending at the establishment.
For further information about the facility, click Croft Visitor's Centre Information Leaflet
How To Book Family/Friend Visit:
Phone 0141 770 2109
Monday to Friday 0900 - 1400 hours or 1500 to 2000 hours
Weekends 0900 - 1300 hours
Visits must be booked 24 hours in advance at which point up to 3 visits may be booked.
We operate a booking system for convicted prisoners where it is the responsibility of the prisoner to arrange his own visits.
How To Book Agent Visit:
Phone 0141 770 2094.
- All adult visitors are required to bring photographic ID and proof of address. Only after producing these shall your photograph be taken.
- There are a maximum number of 3 adults permitted per prisoner in the visit room at any one visit. There are no restrictions on the number of children allowed. (An adult is over 16 years old).
- This relates to both remand and convicted prisoners.
- Please arrive on time for your visit.
- Additional time should be allowed for problems with traffic, parking or unforeseen occurrences.
- Late arrivals may prevent you from receiving your visit.
Visitors may use the car park on the left as they come up the driveway of Lee Avenue, they may also park on Smithycroft road. The car park on the right is a restricted car park. The exception to this is at the weekend or in the evenings when the barrier is raised. Visitors may only use this car park when the barrier is fixed open.
Any person parked illegally will be asked to move their car. This could cause delays and prevent you arriving on time for your visit.
- Barlinnie Prison can facilitate visitors who may require wheelchair access or have other difficulties walking.
- Ramp access to the building is available and access to the visit room by a lift can be facilitated upon request.
- If you require additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact us prior to attending.
Please click to access the visits timetable for April 2014 - Barlinnie_April_Visits_Timetable_2014
|Remand Visiting Times|
|Monday to Friday||9.15 hours||12.15 hours||13.30 hours||17.00 hours||18.15 hours|
|Saturday and Sunday||14.00 hours||15.00 hours||
Convicted Visiting Times
|Monday to Friday||10.30 hours||14.45 hours||19.30 hours|
|Saturday and Sunday||10.00 hours||11.30 hours|
Handing In Property/Money:
If you wish to deposit money for a prisoner, please use the cash desk, which is located to the left of the atrium area and is clearly marked. You will require the prisoner's full name and prison number. You will be issued with a receipt.
If you are unsure how much money you can leave, the following information may act as a guide:
If the prisoner is convicted he may spend £20.00 each week from his personal cash to purchase phone credits and items from the canteen.
If a prisoner is on remand he may spend £20.00 per canteen episode (twice weekly) to purchase phone credits and items from the canteen.
The canteen (shop) provides the opportunity for prisoners to purchase items such as tobacco, toiletries, stamps and sweets.
The cash desk also deals with any fine payments you may wish to make.
Posting In Property/Money:
When you are sending in mail, it will help if you try to include as much information as possible on the envelope. The number and location of the prisoner, if known, should also be put on the envelope, e.g.
C Hall (location if known)
Please ensure that you do not send any money or valuables through the post. If you do wish to send money, please send it in the form of a cheque made payable to the Scottish Prison Service and include the name and number of the recipient on the back of the cheque. Alternatively, you can send a postal order made payable to the recipient.
We hope your visit to Barlinnie is as smooth as possible. If, however, you are dissatisfied with any aspect of the Visits complex, please in the first instance approach any member of staff, who will be pleased to assist you with your concern.
Alternatively you can use the Visitors Comments form (copy overleaf).
These are available from the visit front desk along with an envelope.
- Please complete name, full address (including post code), date/time of visit and home telephone number
- The name of the prisoner you are visiting along with their prison number
- In the main box please detail your comments, stating why you are dissatisfied with your visit. Please include as much information as possible.
- Please sign in the space provided
- When complete, please seal in the envelope and place in the secure box provided
The Visits Manager will empty the box on a daily basis and address your comments within seven days
This is a confidential process dealt with by the Visits Managers.